Friday, December 20, 2013

Ned Vizzini


It's truly sad to see someone so talented and creative go so young. Ned Vizzini was introduced to me when I was in high school. I stumbled upon his work at a book store, had the desire to read his story, and fell into the simple lines of writing into his intricate mind.

He suffered with depression and has been battling with it until now. I was online late last night to see that families, friends, and fans of Ned were posting messages about the death on his Facebook page. I was utterly speechless, physically unable to process how much impact he had on me and so many people.  Ned Vizzini was a successful young adult author, who made his works on the New York Times Bestseller's list. He was a great figure for young adults, teenagers, and anyone who dealt with the pain he had battled through all his life.

It may sound silly, but I will always love reading young adult novels even as a 22 year old. I grew up reading all kinds of novels as a kid ranging from science fiction to mystery. I was the kid who just wanted to be in the company of a book. A good one. And as I've grown older (not that much), I picked up books from young adult to classics. I became a literature major in college, having that strong penchant and passion to write. Whether it may be for myself or people who understand.

I personally didn't know Ned, but reading his works has connected a lot of his fans to him. And I think that's the power of writing. It brings people together who may relate or not relate to his or the character's situation. It's all about understanding a human being, who may be happy, sad or angry. And I think Ned created characters in his writing that made us feel those type of emotions, whether we understand or not.

2 comments:

Caren said...

An excellent tribute. I am much older than you and still enjoy reading Ned's books. ;) I enjoyed reading that.

Joy said...

So sad. I wish I had heard of him before he passed. I'll definitely go and pick this particular books of his up. RIP.